Friday, April 16, 2010

In the midst difficulty, God still blesses me

Accepting it as a given that these have been the hardest 2+ years of my life, with a lot of financial difficulties just making the sorrows and heartbreak a little less easy to deal with... there are still blessings....

I had planned to have Tami R. Benis do my taxes again this year and have had all my documents organized since January excepting figuring out income and loss of the portions of my house I let to tenants.

What with one thing and another, and the subject basically terrifying me, it was well worth it to pay $75 to Tami last year and make certain it was done right and not have the added stress during a time period where I was praying not to have to continue in life.

With her help I ended up getting back $5 from the state (applied to outstanding $750 owed), and around $1,500 federal, added to several thousand dollars owed.

This year too it was worth the money to have her do it, but the finances were just too tight, and things such that in the end I bit the bullet and did it myself.... and... I feel pretty confident (well, less filled with dread) that I got things right and won't be expecting a visit from the IRS... I'd like to say that my fears were unfounded and it was really much easier than the bugbear I had made it, but I'd be lying.... It was the standard exercise in fear, frustration, and unpleasantness... but... it's over... It's done.... that definitely does feel good.

Added to that the blessing that, what with the difficulties I survived with no tenants and no rent, and reducing my possessions a great great deal and beginning the bare minimum of contribution to ministry that I feel I should, and want to be making, I'm getting a significant amount back free and clear (I paid off the state for back taxes in Dec '09, and Goodness!, did that feel great) from the state, and enough 'back' federally to offset all of last year's owed taxes plus a little towards the previous year.

Now to prayerfully consider what to do with the return I wasn't expecting from the state. My initial thoughts lean towards some combination of 1. Get the dental that I've needed done for several years done (It really is a big issue to me), 2. Pay off the Taurus early, 3. Make up for tithing that I missed. Oh, there are lots of places I could put it, but I think those will be the most meaningful, and responsible... I hope.

Thank God for His blessings. This really has been a rough time, especially in the last week or so, and it's so very comforting to know that my Abba father is holding me.

1 comment:

Thistledowne said...

Hrm. Seems my return was rejected because my SSN is being used elsewhere. Do I have to file 'Married filing separately'? That would be a real kick in the pants, especially if I lose my tuition paid and student loan interest paid deductions.